My Hydration Protocol

G

I have been guilty of overlooking the importance of optimal hydration in the past. I felt that one gallon a day was sufficient. If I only drank 3/4 of a gallon I didn't think much of it. If I was on cycle I would shoot for 1.5 gallons a day.

For the past month I have aggressively focused on mastering the most basic disciplines. This has led me to develop a hydration protocol which I now place above my nutrition protocol as the most important facet of bodybuilding.

I've worked my way up to a 3 gallon day recently. It will be the standard for training days and 2 gallons will be the non training day standard.

Upon waking, I drink half a gallon before my first meal. I usually get to the gym between 9am and 3pm. I will absolutely not train until I have finished the first gallon. I believe training on anything less than 1 gallon of water is suboptimal.

Before I leave for the gym, I refill my gallon with filtered water or if I'm at work buy a fresh gallon. Between the ride to the gym and my post workout shake which I drink immediately after the workout I drink the second gallon.

I then refill or buy a 3rd gallon. From that point I shoot to finish the 3rd gallon at least an hour before bed so I don't have to wake up more than once to piss.

Occasionally I train at night and if that's so I will finish my second gallon before I leave for the gym and drink the third while training.

What I've Noticed:

I pee a lot.

Regularity. The gallon I drink before the gym flushes me out. I eliminate right before or right after my first meal and it's been fairly loose.

Strength. Despite cutting with a 600 calorie deficit and between 160-200g of carbs daily, my strength is at an all time high and increasing each week. This includes both on and off cycle. (I'm currently cruising at 200mg a week and am stronger now than I was using both Tren and Anadrol over the summer.)

Muscle fullness. Despite a fairly low amount of carbs, during my workouts I notice a fullness in my muscles I've only ever seen after consecutive days of carb loading. This is the lowest my BF has been in years and the look I have while training is one I'm very satisfied with.

Vascularity. I believe this is partially due to the decrease in bodyfat, but I also think that due to a lack water retention within the skin, vascularity is more evident.

Sleep. I don't sleep as much as I'd like to because of my job, but the sleep I have been getting lately has been very good. Can't attribute it to anything else other than more intense workouts and water consumption.

I also pee a lot

The benefits are too good not to continue on holding myself to 3 gallons a day. For me, I have to master the basics of bodybuilding before I even consider running a cycle. Optimal hydration is the foundation every other discipline is built on thus I put as much effort as necessary to achieve it otherwise everything else I do will be suboptimal.

I seek excellence. I despise average.

SemperFi

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce "F'ing" Lee

The bodies need for water comes in a very close second to oxygen. And again a very close second for its nutrient shuttling capabilities to blood. Muscle cells have the largest volume of water content of any other cells in the body. Without proper hydration we are starving our muscles of the much needed nutrients for growth.

I am not even going to go into its ability to reduce fatigue, balance hormone response and burn body fat. ;)

Thanks for the wake up call Griz and a great inexpensive way to a healthier you.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I'll add this for everyone to keep in mind. Your body can only process 8oz of water every 15 minutes, so anymore than 8oz every 15 minutes is a waste.

Second there is too much of a good thing. Water poisoning is a real killer. I'm not sure how much water it takes, or if it's different for every individual but drinking too much water can kill. What it does is flush the sodium out of your body down to levels that will kill you. Right up there with oxygen and water being vital needs for survival sodium places 3rd. I personally knew a lady who died from water poisoning and that's tbe only way I'd ever heard of it.

Thanks for the post MrA! Hydration is something I personally believe many do not take seriously enough. It's also great for keeping a youthful look, healthy skin, hair, and nails. We are supplied 10oz bottles of reverse osmosis water at work. I try to drink 4 an hour. Multiply that by 12 hrs and thats 480oz just at work not to mention my home consumption which is less because I'm mostly sleeping or at the gym.

Dolf

Also clear pee is a good indicator of being properly hydrated unless you're on tren of course. The darker the piss the less hydrated you are. Another way I can tell if I didn't drink enough water is when I pin it's harder to pierce my skin and push through the muscle witb the needle.

M

Mister A

Great additions, Dolf. You're absolutely correct about the limit your kidneys have on processing water. I think everyone processes water at different rates depending on a variety of factors. I also believe that when you first wake up, your body is severely dehydrated and re-hydrating with a large dose of water is necessary for to restore optimal body functioning.

This amount of water has led me to increase my potassium and sodium intake which are both strongly influenced by water consumption. The difference has been adding sea salt to all of my meals and featuring yams as my exclusive source of carbohydrates. A six ounce serving of yams contains 1,128mg of potassium. I have 3 of those per day.

SemperFi

It isn't if your body is utilizing it to regulate body temperature and replenish lost stores due to physical exertion.

Dolfs 8oz in 15 minute reference was for the average person. His body may be able to process 10oz in 15 minutes.

Don't worry... Your body is smart. Whatever you don't need it won't use. It is better to error on the side of too much than too little. ;)

SEMPER FI

blastthru23

I noticed substantial strength gains before going on cycle when i began consuming 7 litres of water per day. 

Here's what i do: 1 litre before work; 3 litres at work; 1 litre in the way to the gym; 1+ litres while training; 1 litre by the time i crash for the evening. I'll be honest, i don't always get 7 in per day, but no less than 5, and sometimes 9. I fill 9 glass 1 litre bottles daily, keep em in a milk crate in my truck.

Pumps are fantastic, and pissing clear almost all the time. Even my sweat doesn't smell all that foul. Bowel evacuation up to 3 times daily. Water is way too over looked, i know that now. I was on the gallon a day thing forever. 2 gal seems work good for me.

Great discussion!

Dolf

Well I work outside in a hot humid climate, so more water is needed than someone who might work in a climate controlled environment or in a more temperate type climate. To answer your question yes I'm most likely consuming more water than needed, but I'd rather drink the 2 extra ounces per bottle than throw it out.

swolesam

Great info Mister A. When you mentioned to me in our conversation, iv been sticking with the increased H2O consumption, and im loving it. I guess i wasnt taking enough water in. Sometimes i get too busy and dont notice that im not consuming water. Its these little things that make the big difference. Another thing people dont pay attention to is sleep, as a matter of fact deep sleep. Its another critical factor for growth & better feel all around.

JARHEAD2

When it comes to water intake, I only count the water that I drink towards my goal. I have friends that say, " I count my coffee as my water intake cause it's water too." Although it has water, the caffeine can actually work against the hydration. I love my coffee, but imo it doesn't count towards intake. These guys buy these flavored mix s cause they don't like the taste of water. I don't include that in my hydration protocol either. It has ingredients that must be broken down. I'm not saying this is fact cause I've not studied it, but in my mind that breakdown slows the process of hydration. So for me, it just clear water.  Strong suggested liquid minerals to me & I do add those to my water. I feel they're not broke down in the same process but are taken in by our organs. Just my opinion:)

JARHEAD2

Yes sir I would.... IMO it's something the body absorbs rather than breaking down & processing it. I hear a lot of people say they drink at least a gallon of water a day cause they had 2 pots of coffee lol .... that's more of what I was try to convey. I encourage bcaa's as well. NiCR point brother & thanks for bringing that out!!

JARHEAD2

Don't take my word for it cause I ain't the brightest..... I'm sure MrA, SF & Sam have studied it & knows the truth haha

SemperFi

You are absolutely right Jar. Coffee (caffeine) is a diuretic and should not be counted as part of your water intake.

SEMPER FI