Optimizing Sleep

G

Sleep, though the most overlooked aspect of bodybuilding, is undoubtedly one of the most important. I was fortunate enough to discover the benefits a real, quality night's sleep last night by way of 1mg of Xanax given to me by a friend. Today's ensuing workout was one of the best I've had in months. I literally had to force myself to stop training and go home and eat.

Now I'm not looking to develop a Benzo addiction so I won't be repeating the practice. But with my job and with how hard I train and the constantly buzzing occurring in my head late at night, I'm looking into means of maximizing and optimizing my sleep.

Are there any peptides that are primarily used for sleep in? I'm looking for something to knock me out, honestly. I've tried the herbal teas and I've had some success with them. As well as shutting off the phone and the laptop before bed. But is getting a prescription sleep aid an efficient way to go about this? Or is there a more natural way?

SemperFi

I have never utilized peptides fro sleep enhancement. I do know, by name only, the delta sleep peptide (DSIP) but have no idea what it is used for.

Have you considered melatonin? Many people swear by it.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I use melatonin because it's natural, it works, and it's not habit forming. I use between 5 and 10mg. You have to take it, lay down, and relax for it to work.

JARHEAD2

Melatonin & Valarian root... You can use them together, but sometimes I have felt groggy until a cup of coffee!

blastthru23

I personally take benadryl when i need to get knocked out, but, for me it takes an hour or so to kick in. I'm gonna check out this dsip stuff, benadryl dries me out. In the morning sometimes my mouth feels like i was sucking on chalk and elmers glue

blastthru23

Checked it out, found it combined with selank (guess i need to find out what that is...) still have to find the dose. Off to the land of google...

blastthru23

Looks like 100 -150mcg 1 hour before hitting the hay, i read it can keep u sleeping for up to 9 hours. Might have to try this out...

M

Mister A

Melatonin, valerian root, St John's Wort, chamomile, benadryl - I've used them all without much success. I would probably say it's my years of stimulant based drug addiction why things like that don't work too well. Permanently damaged receptors (broscience). Also why I think certain pre workouts have zero effect on me.

This DSIP and anxiolytic look promising. I am going to take a close look into them both and probably give them and good run. Might be useful when trensomnia kicks in.

M

Mister A

OK so Selank is an anxiolytic similar to the prescription based drug Semax. Both were created in Russia originally. Selank seems to be very affective as an anxiolytic at around 400-500mcg. Route of administration is via the nasal cavity. The research shows effects on the release of dopamine as well as anti anxiety benefits and even increases in emotional, cognitive and interpersonal mechanisms. It is sometimes viewed as a nootropic. From reading the reviews and the research it seems to work best in people with anxiety. It works well to relieve anxiety, but may not have much of an effect on someone without anxiety.

blastthru23

I'm probably going to get some for my next cycle, which includes tren. I took klonopin for sleep last cycle, but i hear its highly addictive...

M

Mister A

Klonopin is one of the harder drugs to get off. Very addictive. I've been reading about this Selank and it works so good as an anxiolytic that it can be used during opiate withdrawals and can help the patient not only ease anxiety but actually get to sleep. Anyone who's ever withdrawn from an opiate addiction knows how difficult sleeping can be during the first few days/weeks. It appears that the more severe the anxiety, the better Selank works.

blastthru23

Gladly, I'm not the anxious type, didn't get paranoid while on tren last time, so I'm going to skip the selank. Thanks for posting ur research. Btw mrA, love your posts, very helpful and informative 

SenseiMiagi

Do yourself a favor and look past prescription options, especially SSRI's/benzos.  Habitual, and shitty withdrawal when coming off.  My wife has difficulty sleeping and has been taking pills for years for it.  Try everything other than prescription medicines IMO.  Marijuana works for some....me included.

I recently went on a 6 week lexapro prescription on doctors advise...bad idea...turned me into a zombie, and am dealing with withdrawals now when I cut it off cold turkey.

M

Mister A

Good to see you back on the forums, brother. Sorry to hear about these troubles. I've been down this route in the past and it's definitely not something I'm looking to do again. Ambien used to knock me out something good, but it's quickly addicting and you trade so much just to be able sleep. I think if I did a combination of herbal remedies as well as did things like shut the electronics off at a certain time, got those room darkening shades, and kept the temperature in my room at whatever the optimal sleep temperature is, I could forgo the need for sleep meds and benzos. Most people are just too lazy to try doing all that stuff first. But I liken it to the obese person who wants gastric bypass, but hasn't tried to diet and exercise first. With my schedule as unstable as it is, this will be difficult for me, but it would also be a very healthy habit to establish - physically, physiologically, mentally and spiritually as well.

SenseiMiagi

Agreed Brother.  Good to be back.  I hope you can find the balance and improve your sleep.  My wife is still going through that rabbit hole trying to get to sleep.  I cant relate since i generally sleep well.  You are right, typically it is a lifestyle change that will help the most.  Good luck to you Brother....have you tried counting sheep?  :)