Pre or post training cardio?

Dolf

Do you prefer cardio pre or post training? Why so?

I have recently read that cardio post training is better because it burns more fat. Reason being is that the weight training depletes your glycogen stores, and therefore the body burns more calories during and after the cardio session.

Me personally I prefer fasted pre training cardio because post training I have given everything I have to give. To me it would seem my glycogen is depleted after sleeping all night having not eaten anything at least 2 hrs before bed. Also I do a steady state cardio that is 70 to 80% max heart rate. To me my training doesn't suffer since it's kinda of a mildly intense warm-up. 

SemperFi

This is a great topic for discussion Dolf.

For me I prefer pre training cardio but I do find I need to change my scheduling regularly to ensure it meets my specific training goals on cycle. Off cycle the timing is really not at the forefront of my mind so I go with what I prefer on any given day. My off cycle training incorporates so much cardio that I do not schedule any cardio specific exercises - treadmills, elliptical, running, etc. Time of year greatly effects my cardio training as well. When the weather is nice (rarely where I live) I spend my time outdoors and my hobbies provide me with all the cardio these ol' bones need.

Post training cardio is not better or worse. We just need to time our cardio to meet a specific goal. The information you read about post cardio burns more fat in certain circumstances makes good sense but so does your reasonings for doing it pre training. 

Let the great debate begin.....

JdDaniel01

I will have to see if I can find them, but I have read a couple of interesting studies which raised the question of post workout cardio having a negative effect on the peak levels of growth hormone secretion...

JARHEAD2

Great topic Bro! 

I mix mine up & it seems to work for me. I do fasted cardio in the am & workout right after & then the next week or so I will workout first thing & then cardio. I workout before most people roll out of bed because due to my schedule it’s the best option. So, either way I’m working in a fasted state & burning stored energy. A good work out is effective at burning fat & some say more effective in the long term. When I do cardio after my workout, I prefer to do the stair master;-) or I walk on the treadmill in an incline. I feel like the fasted state is beneficial either way. I have been conteplating IF, but I’d have to do it backwards than most people & feed like 1pm-9pm Or 3pm-11pm. This would allow my body to continue to burn fat throughout the day after workout & cardio.

I read an article this week on bodybuilding.com that did the actual math supposedly & they stated that the benefit of fasted cardio was minimal. I don’t know, but it makes sense to me that it’s beneficial.

strong

I now Prefer my cardio after workouts. I read an article as well about burning more fat after weight lifting due to using up your glycogen stores. I was on a mission to lose fat my last off cycle and I was pretty successful,  I do mix it up though. If I have no energy walking into the gym I will jump on the elliptical to get my body going.. 

ESmetalhead

I do it before... simply because I feel like my entire body is warmed up after a run and hopefully this prevents injury

Dolf

Thanks for the input gentlemen! And you too SF ; ) +3 to all

In reality I feel that whatever way gets you to your goals is the right way. If you prefer pre training and you meet or exceed your goals then that's the way to do it. Same for post training. That's my 2 cents

Expont86

I usually do my cardio workout before lifting weights.

I do it because I use it as warm up and because every single time I tried to do it after the working out I was so tired I barely could do it 10 minutes :-S

ramdisck

From my experience and what I've read...

I do mine post workout.  The way I understand it is that i want to use the calories and energy to build muscle to gain weight.  My body will react to the time under tension that happens first.  So i lift weights and let my body focus on this.  Post workout I do my cardio which will focus mostly on just that "cardio"

If i wanted to lose fat and "cut" I would do Cardio preworkout and get the calorie burn started.  this would continue on to the weights and then my workout would continue to help burn fat and calories while telling my body to rebuild tissue and maintain strength.

This is just what works for me.

BodyGear

I always do my cardio post workout and non weight training days. Reason being I dont want to be gassed when its time to throw around the iron. A 5 min session before weights to warm up is always some I do also. 

ashop

BodyGear said:
</p><p>I always do my cardio post workout and non weight training days. Reason being I dont want to be gassed when its time to throw around the iron. A 5 min session before weights to warm up is always some I do also. </p><p>
</p><p> </p><p>Agreed, well said!</p>

Charmander55

When it comes to dieting phases of training, I find that post work out cardio works best for me.  My body just seems to respond really well to it.  Also due to my schedule, post workout just allows me to get it in.  Pre workout Ill do about 10 minutes, more as a warm up and injury prevention. The science says different things (pre,post, empty stomach, ect), I don't think one way is better than the other. Like the old saying says, "everybody is different", do what works best for you.

* As a side note, Besides warming up, to maximize recovery I usually skip cardio leg day and the day after. 

BobbyO190

From the guy who hates cardio.  The best option for me lately has been both.....I ride my bicycle to and from the gym. It forces pre and post cardio; only about a 3.5 mile ride each way so not the biggest cardio commit in the world but it's solid for me. 

And yes, the ride home is a wee bit slower and thankfully more down hill :)