Quick but possibly stupid question

malthouse5656

okay guys serious question I'm 9 weeks into my test cycle and i did calves 4 days ago and they still haven't healed they feel like I just worked them that day. Like when i stand up and start walking if i stand straight up and lean forward the slightest I get a tight pinch deep in the muscle. Is this normal while on cycle? I've been drinking 1 1\2 to 2 gallons of water a day so I'm hydrated and I've been eating 3500 calories a day. Just wondering if i should be worried or if it is just something that will just disappear out of nowhere. Thanks in advance brothers and sisters

I

icdeadlifters

I got them in my arms on a cycle, and sometimes I would pull ass muscle also. Me I found it to be my body adjusting to the compound. Your body is growing with the protein synthesis so your muscles normally hurt or have that "pump" feeling. Take it easy while on gear your body isn't used to the fast changes. I've seen and suffered injuries due to "over" doing it. Stay hydrated, I would also increase potassium intake......

The guru swole..... He'll tell ya more.

malthouse5656

the more I thought about it while reading your answer the more it makes sense ita just weird some days it feels I do nothing after about an hour like I dont feel sore, but then other days its like i cant even flex I'm so pumped but lift with same intensity on all days just weird to me. I appreciate the quick reply tho brother

strong

I've had serious hamstring issues and spasm issues more when I'm on cycle. Stretching is key. A lot of water is great but I add Liquid minerals to my water. Its hard to say. Have you trained your calves frequently or did u just blast them?  My calves tend to hurt after every training session.  Are you running any orals??

M

Mister A

Do you regularly train calves? How intense was the workout? What exercises did you do? Any reason to suspect you may have tweaked something while training?

To answer your question directly, no. The testosterone should increase your rate of recovery. However what it sounds like, and I need the answers to the above questions to be more certain, is that you trained calves hard and got some bad lactic acid build up. When we train we break down muscle tissue and lactate, or lactic acid, is used to generate power when oxygen isn't readily available. Lactate is comprised of various metabolites that are able to breakdown glucose and distribute energy to the muscle cells. Though the exact cause of delayed onset muscle soreness is still unclear, evidence points to cell damage and a rise in the active metabolites to the region. Lactate acid along with the destruction of cells creates metabolic waste which must be shuttled out of the muscle during the recovery process. It's logical to see that when significant breakdown is created, a build up of this metabolic waste can occur which may impede blood flow and, consequently, slow the recovery process down.

Legs muscles are notorious for Lactate buildup due to the distance they are from the lungs. Since oxygen has a difficult time getting to the legs, Lactate is brought into the picture to help power the muscle. The actual purpose of lactate is to prevent overworking the muscle which is why "the burn" exists. When we ignore the pain and continue training, there are consequences to it such as, namely, DOMS for 4 days.

Either that or you tweaked something. Idk.

SemperFi

X2 Mr. A

Or.....

You are just being a baby and need to go to band camp!

100% pure joke to create a laugh little brother.

SEMPER FI

calmb4dastorm

Mr. A! Lactic acid buildup is likely culprit. I train calves 3 x weekly as they are a weak point. Some days i train them and have no DOMS, but once every now and again, i experience the same issue as Malt and usually when I pushed through the burn. 

swolesam

X2 MisterA, you are dabbling in science research hardcore brother. Love it, and makes total sense.

In general, staying well hydrated, stretching even on off days, doing a set or 2 light medium weights on the days you're not working that muscle can help greatly shuttle the lactic acid out, If you are getting painful "pumps", L-Taurine is awesome in rectifying that pre & post workout.

SemperFi

Taurine should be a staple in every persons supplement regimen. Especially when running orals such as dbol and in some cases var.

SEMPER FI

M

Mister A

I think the best way to recover is through active recovery. Of course having your nutrition and supplementation on point is crucial. How I deal with leg soreness, since I'm really committed to building giant legs this year and the workouts are grueling, is to first split my leg day into 2 days. On Friday night I train quads. On Saturday morning I do HIIT either outside by sprinting up a set of bleachers and walking down for 5 sets of 10 or I sprint on the cycle for 30 seconds on/60 seconds off for 10 minutes. On Saturday night I go back to the gym and train calves and hamstrings. Working the opposing muscle group stretches the quads and gets great blood flow to the area. I wake up Sunday morning with virtually no quad soreness. If I do HIIT again it alleviates my hamstring soreness too. It's been very helpful and I try to work opposing muscle groups on back to back days all the time now.

malthouse5656

I asked a fellow brother at the gym how to grow calves and he said its genentics which I believe to a point but I still believe if you work them you will experience some type of growth to answer your questions I train them usually two times a week but this week I did them once and blasted them I guess you could say. I did 4 sets of 50 reps of calf raises on the leg press machine with little rest In between and pushed through the burn. But to answer your oral question yes I should have been more clear of what I was taking I've been taking winistrol as well at 50mg a day but have had no joint pain or other sides that would lead me to believe that would have any cause to this problem I think brother misters answer is what I am experiencing it makes alot of sense. x

malthouse5656

just wanted to answer your initial questions, I do train calves normally 2-3 times a week but i did a blast workout once this week. I did 4 sets of 50 calf raises on the leg press machine. And the only reason to suspect I ay have tweaked something is because I've never had a problem getting out of bed standing straight up, but I've also never done 4 sets of 50 either.

swolesam

i love the opposing muscle groups workouts as well. Once a month (sometimes more), i try to stick opposing muscles the same workout session. Like biceps and tricpes same day. Forearms outer and inner same day. Chest and back same day (thats a bitch though),...

M

Mister A

Chest and back is a tough one. I read a long time ago that working an opposing muscle group increases strength in the other group. Like doing chins between sets of bench press would increase your bench press capacity. I think the body is always working in synergy, even when we try to isolate muscle groups. They're feeding off each other. I even heard that there's a carry over effect uniliaterally. Training your left quad when you have a right leg injury will help prevent the injured leg from atrophying. Muscles are so cool.

Dolf

Another technique I like is to pre exhaust muscles that assist in the lift of another muscle group. Like doing hammer curls before lat pulldowns while using straps of course. It lowers the amount of weight lifted, but puts more of the focus on the muscle you're trying to train.

M

Mister A

That's a good move too, Dolf. I like to do 6 sets of high rep shrugs before my shoulder pressing. I can press less weight, but the traps are so strong they're likely to assist anyway they can if they're not pre exhausted.