Running The Rack Arm Pump Challenge

Big Nasty

Its truly a great pump isn't it? Def keeping RTR in my arsenal as a staple to do from time to time. Going to play with it soon again and even try different exercises. Same protocol just angles/movements. 

blastthru23

I want to do an RTR with dumbbell bench press and something for the back but haven't figured it out just yet. But, I'm think pec deck and reverse flyes. Instead, "run the stack" of plates down and back again for pecs and a static weight for reverse flyers. Jump from one machine to the next. My gym has two of those machine next to each other so it should work well :)

blastthru23

Inspired by the RTR SF laid out above, I decided to give it a run for its money with a chest-back routine on a pec flye machine. What I planned was to start at 195 lbs (which by my estimation is not REALLY 195 as far as feeling goes) to 90 pounds for 5 reps on each set. Then, move the pin to 60 pounds for rear flyes, which immediately followed the pec flyes, and did 10 reps after each set of pec flyes. From 90 pounds to 30 pounds (the lowest weight on the machine) I repped just shy of failure (didn't count). Then went back up the stack to the starting point. BTW, the weigh unfortunately, decreased/increased by 15 pounds per plate on the stack.

The result of the this self inflicted challenge was pretty cool. I did notice a painful pump in my anterior delts, especially as my pecs were getting fatigued along the way.  Mid traps seemed to get most of the action, and I good definitely feel them swelling up. I would have to say that the result was not like the arm pump from running the rack, but it was effective as a style of metabolite training in my experience. I wasn't as sore as I thought I would be, but I was definitely fatigued and drenched in sweat at the end. There may be a better, more effective way to do a RTR style of training for chest and back as the groups trained, and maybe I will find it.

I'm thinking that a calf-tibialis anterior workout could be fun and measurable. I'm thinking some sort of calf raise, maybe standing or using the leg press, then tibialis raises. The calf raises would take the beating from running the rack, or the stack, and tibialis would get the steady load with no increase to the weight...we shall see

blastthru23

This challenge has become a monthly staple at this point. A couple friends at the gym saw me doing it,  they gave it a run and loved it. Good stuff!