TC Back Training Workout #1

TestraChemist

Gang, I will be posting my workouts throughout the week. These workouts have been carefully designed and fine tuned over the years.  I've been in the game for a long time and have learned from some of the greatest names, only to incorporate these techniques and methods into my own style.  The following workout is a back routine that has helped me gain overall thickness and and size over the years.  I still incorporate this workout every so often, and I always feel leaving like a champ.  When you do this, stay 100% focused on mind & muscle.  Also, pay attention to the clock as not to over exceed the rest periods.  Enjoy it guys, let me know what you think.

Back workout #1 - Target areas (Lats, Rhomboids, Mid-Traps, Erectors)

Exercise 1 (Superset): 2 warmup sets (For me) - 3 Working Sets

Bent-over Cable Pullover with rope (14-16 Reps; 3secEcc:1secCon) Superset w/ Wide Grip Lat Pulldown (14-16 Reps; 3secEcc:1secCon) 

90 Second Rest period between these sets

Note: For the bent-over cable pullover, my hips are at a 60 degree angle.  Also, when doing a standard lat pulldown, make sure to push your chest out for the mid thoracic contracted hard throuout the set as your pulling down to squeeze, and all the way up when getting the stretch. 

Exercise 2 (Straight Set): 1 warmup set (If needed) - 3 Working Sets

Reverse Position Close-grip Cable Lat Pulldown (14-16 Reps; 3secEcc;1secCon)

60 Second Rest period between these sets

Note: Instead of sitting forward traditionally with the knees under the pads, turn yourself the other way and let your mid-thoracic curl over the pads for support.  Pull all the way down and squeeze the lats, and all the way up getting a full-stretch with keeping your mid-thoracic curled over the pads... Wow! Do not let yourself come off the seat either at the top.

Exercise 3 (Superset): (No warmup set) - 3 Working Sets

Single-arm Standing Cable Row (14-16 Reps; 3secEcc;1secCon) Superset w/ Seated Close-Grip Cable Row (14-16 Reps; 3secEcc;1secSqueezePause;1secCon)

90 Second Rest Period between these sets

Note: When doing the single-are cable row, make sure the cable connector is at the bottom.  While holding one hand on the machine, use the other to pull (Lawnmower style) squeezing the lower lat hard!  Then repeat on other side.  When doing the seated cable row, again, make sure you contract your mid-thoracic hard by pushing the chest out, keeping this position for the whole set.  Make sure to squeeze for a full second at mid-point, and remember not to roll the shoulders forward on the eccentric when returning to the stretch point.  Holy Crap your back should be pumped to hell if it isn't already!

Exercise 4 (Straight Set): 3 Working Sets

Bent over Barbell Rows (12-14 Reps; 3secEcc;1secCon)

75 Second Rest between these sets

Note: When doing these, I only angle my body at 30 degrees to where it looks like I'm more upright than bent over.  I basically trace down my legs to my knees (Controlled and fluid), then pull back the same way hard with force squeezing my lats with the bar at my lower abdoment.  Great angle.  Also, remember to keep contraction on that mid-thoracic as not to let the shoulders round forward.

Exercise 5 (Straight Set): 1 warmup set - 2-3 Working Sets (The Finisher)

Barbell Deadllifts (10 Reps; 2secEcc;1secCon)

90 Seconds rest in between these sets

Note: Be sure to start with a warmup set for 6-8 lighter weight to get a feel for the weight and movement.  Deadlifts are a great finisher for any back workout.  Form is everything on this. Give all that you have left on these.  Go for that goal of 10, so increase or decrease the weight if you have to.  I always start light and pyramid up.  If you start to feel your body rounding and starting to sacrifice form, STOP!!! YOU ARE DONE!!! Also note, if you have any lower back issues, modify the deadlifts with light weight superman reps for 25 each set.

This is a higher volume, high-intensity workout.  Be mentally prepared for this, and also don't go beyond your means.  As you will find out, this is not a heavy weight based workout.  But, as you do this more often, you will become STRONGER!  You will GAIN SIZE & THICKNESS!  You will increase your MUSCULAR ENDURANCE.

If you need questions on supplements I use to help me grind through these tough workouts, hit me up.  Friend requests welcome!

Enjoy!

TC

Dolf

Very similar to my back workout. I do pullups to start. Sometimes with weight added using a chain belt. I'll also sometimes do hammer curls before each back movement to pre exhaust the bi's, so the back gets more focus. I use straps when pre exhausting the bi's.

Kroc rows are a favorite of mine for back too. Google it if you don't know what they are.

Thanks for the plan, and looking forward to the others to come. 

TestraChemist

I still tend to use straps by taking load off of my secondaries and really focus on my back.  It's great especially when you've got that mind/muscle connection.  I don't feel it takes away from my forearm nor grip strength because I do other movements on my arm day to build that.  I feel with straps they really allow me to target the muscle I need, and has been proven effective with the GAINZ I've seen throughout my back.

I've seen Matt Kroc before as his db rows are very similar to mine.  It's one of those few back exercises that I let my shoulder drop forward.  But, those kind of rows are made to do with high weight poundage!!! It's a great strength gainer exercise no doubt!  Good note there Dolf.

SemperFi

In your opinion, why do you believe that the Kroc row needs to be performed with high weight? I find that using a moderate weight, that can be properly controlled without excessive body movement, focusing on the negative tends to provide better long term results in muscle strength and development for me personally.

Thank you very much for sharing your workout and experience.

SEMPER FI

D

Dont_trip

wrong but isn't pre exahausting used the other way around, using it the way you propose would actually but more emphasis on your biceps by doing an isolation move for your bicep your bicep would then become fatigued which would lead it to going to failure on your compound back movement pre exhaust your suppose to use it on the main muscle so for example chest flys supersetted  bench press that way the pecs are fatigued and reach true failure before Your triceps and delts the way you have it would be like me doing chest flys and then trying to get my Triceps to fail before my chest its really not optimal. I'm just curious your method you have a great back, I would say doing a straight arm pull down before a back excercises would be a better form of pre exhausting if trying to target your back.

SemperFi

+2 Dolf. I have never thought about the idea of pre exhausting a lesser associated muscle group. I will consider implementing it.

SEMPER FI

TestraChemist

Good Question Semper.  When it comes to "Kroc Rows," and to be honest my rows are similar to kroc rows as mentioned, I tend to use for that sort of movement for explosive strength.  For my version of those explosive rows are what I call "Dead man's single arm dumbell rows." In my version, I tend to start the heavy weight completely on the ground.  I then recruit as many fibers as I can using explosive training on the concentric phase, ranging my reps between 6-10.  I incorporate these when I'm in a strength building phase of my program every-so-often.  But, I agree that the negative eccentric provides results in development which is why my back workout is centered around a longer eccentric phase.  Personally, I think, recruiting the fibers using explosive training, will help produce more strength results in the long run.  But, this would be another discussion. ;) Great comments guys!

TC

Gear2Go

Nice write up.

I use Versa Grips and swear by them. They keep my back engaged and alleviate my forearms and biceps.

SemperFi

You are exactly right in your line of thinking but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Stimulating hypertrophy and muscle recruitment do not necessarily go hand and hand. We also have to remember there are two types of muscle fibers involved in every movement. The failure of one will lead to the incorporation of the other in the movement creating new forms of growth.

If I read Dolf's post correctly I think he is thinking about forcing his body to recruit less biceps due to fatigue in the back movement leading to more recruitment in the area he is wanting to focus on.

Great post to get us thinking dont_trip!

SEMPER FI

D

Dont_trip

I like feedback but the question I pose now is how do you recruit your back more when your bicep muscles are failing you cannot focus on your back when your arms are fighting to Hold the weight it only that but by orenexhausting the biceps in order to work the back you are actually making a kind muscle connection with your biceps first then going to a movement which uses your back and biceps it would lead to a greater connection with your bicep and not your back. But again I'm sure Dolf has his reasons i was just curious because I love hearing about training and I truly do think that most people put all their focus on drugs Or diet and forget that lifting weights is what puts that muscle on you I can have a perfect diet train like a wuss and look like a wuss but if you train like an animal you will have some solid muscle even if it's hidden under fat LOL anyways brother look forward to your response sorry for typos. Damn phone 

Dolf

That's exactly why I like to pre exhaust the bi's with back, and that's the only small muscle group I'll do that with.

Dolf

DT I do my heavy lifting first like bb rows, pullups, and kroc rows. After that I'll start with supplemental movements like lat pulls, and that's when I'll pre exhaust the bi's, and then use straps. It pulls the bicep out of the equation and puts the focus of the movement mostly on the back muscles. The total weight you'd normally pull is reduced, but more focus is placed on the back. Try it out next back day.

Dolf

I'll use a 90lb, and then a 110lb db for sets of 10 as a warm up, and then grab the 125lb db and row to failure. Unfortunately 125 is the biggest db my gym has. I also use straps for the final set to take grip out of the equation. Kroc rows when done properly will have you huffing puffing and wanting to dry heave into the chalk garbage can lol

Dolf

I've seen the versa gripps, but wasn't too sure how good they worked. Might have to get some now if you think they're worth it?

SemperFi

I use them and like them.

Check them out at the river - You would look great in the pink dogface! ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Versa-Gripps-Weight-Lifting-Straps/dp/B002Y2S6K8

SEMPER FI

Dolf

I'd be the baddest mofo to ever wear pink versa gripps lol

Guess I'll get some and some lotion. No more calluses with soft lotioned hands that can't grip a tackle box? What's not to love?!? 

blastthru23

I love versa gripps. But i only use them when my grip starts failing. I see dudes use them for all their pulling exercises, and to me it looks as though they have puny forearms. Nevertheless, i get the notion that we're not necessarily working forearms in our back routines, and to favor back muscles over forearms is a good idea, i think that using gripps for ALL exercises every time for every exercise is too much of a sacrifice for maintaining grip strength and forearm size.

Dolf

Using grips or straps is fine as long as you train your grip also...farmers walk, the gripper, and so on.

Westside Barbell uses grips in their training, but also trains grip strength as well. WSBB is the cream of the crop when it comes to big lifts, and powerlifting.

blastthru23

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never used Kroc rows in my back routine.  So, I took D's advice and youtubed it. Here's what I gathered from watching the video, which is really one technical change, that being the bicep is hardly recruited for the lift. It appears Matt is using almost entirely the back muscles to achieve the lift. Makes perfect sense to use this row to build and strengthen the back. And, i can see that a lifter using the Kroc row will most certainly need a very acute mind-muscle connection. You can put money on me putting Krocs in my back routine!  Nice thread TC, btw. I dig reading other folks workout routines, keeps things moving in the right direction  :)

Big Nasty

Love this thread and discussion on different training ideas and techniques. Nothing to add here other than agree that straps have helped me tremendously especially with heavy rows both bb and db,  shrugs, pull downs, cable rows... etc. Really helped relieve bicep and forearms to really focus on the back totally. I have tennis elbow issues which have affected my grip strength so I have to work grip strength separately or as a finishing work when I do back/bi's together. I can barely grip a pencil on at the end on those days. Also I have always done the big compound heavy movement first and always but I need to change it up and give this a try for a while.