Whats Strong Regardless of Body Weight for the Average Lifter!

pitbull42286

According to Donnie Thompson (the first guy to ever total 3,000 lbs in a PL meet) and I agree with this; to be a strong guy you have to be able to Bench 400+ on a regular basis and Squat & Deadlift 500+ on a regular basis! This ain't elite standards just regular standards to be considered strong. This is an general idea of what's strong regardless of body weight.

siegmund

Now pitt this one , ill use confused , as a choice of words ,   regardless of body weight ,  example you take a 180 lb guy , benching 335 lets say , then you take  a 245 lb man benching 425 ,  you mean to tell me that the 245 lb guy is stronger than the 180 lb guy ??.?  Thats 65 lb weight differnce , and lb for pound .I just went to national raw lifts , no drugs no exercise gear , a raw record (correct me it may have changed ) 181 class 385 bench. 242 class ,485.60. , like I said maybe these numbers have changed ,,  but lb for lb the 242 weight has a 0.60 ,increase in bench so , id say there = in strenght lb for lb ... its also possible im misunderstanding the post ... it should be determained by weight class no??? I mean come on a 180 lb guy benching 385 ,far from week imo ,, just like a 160 , lb guy , has a bench of 400 lol , wow that impresses me and also just shut my mouth with a foot in it , I figured id look at the 160 class and post like 300 lb bench but the raw record is 400 ,,   well thats my goal anyway 405 ,and im about 70 lb away ,, and im like 190 ,now ,,and im applying the west side so lets see 

pitbull42286

Hey, you are referring to Pound for Pound Strength. I'm not talking about that man. That's why I said regardless of Body weight. You're getting overall maximal strength mixed up with relative strength and pound for pound strength. Either way, you are missing the point. The reason these numbers are strong "regardless of bodyweight" is because a 400 plus bench is hard to get at any weight class and a 500 Squat is hard to get at any weight. Sometimes to get stronger you have to gain weight, sometimes that's the only way. This is why guys that weigh more for the most part are stronger then smaller guys. Now, in order to get stronger at a certain point requires you to gain weight.

Now I'm going to explain why the Pound for Pound numbers at the ((smaller weight classes)) don't mean anything. Who cares if you're 150 pounds and Deadlifting 300 pounds. Which is 2 times your body weight; which would still be a weak number. Even a 200 pound guy lifting double his body weight on Deadlifts which is 400 is still weak numbers. I hit a 500 pound Deadlift at 150 pounds! This whole body weight argument is what people with weak lifts use to justify their weak numbers (I'm not referring to you here man or being a dick lol). Here is my 500 Deadlift at 150 lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azu2pxtUnNM

Pretty much what I'm saying is that this is considered a standard minimum to be considered strong in the world of powerlifting. We have higher strength standards. Now according to Louie Simmons you're not even a Powerlifter unless you can Deadlift 600 pounds lol His standards are even higher. In powerlifting terms those numbers (400+ Bench, 500+ Squat and Deadlift) are approaching numbers that would make someone semi competitive at a low level raw meet. Strong relative to body weight is something I understand, but to say a 125 lb guy that can bench is strong isn't necessarily accurate. He is strong relative to his size and weight and his % of bodyweight lifted. In that respect he is stronger than some at a higher weight, but I could still rag doll the guy. That makes me stronger. It's kind of like saying Jose Aldo is the best MMA fighter (pound for pound) in the world. No he isn't because Cain Velazquez can smash him so no he isn't. (If you aren't fight fans sorry if the analogy is lost on you.)

Do you get what I am saying man?? And I'm a PLer and I'm all for Relative and Pound for Pound Strength. But the lower weight classes, relative strength doesn't mean that much unless there 5x their body weight on a lift, then that's just a freak of nature lol

siegmund

Like I said I most likely was reading or misunderstanding the post ,, as to the point ,, a little mmore clear 

Turning 40

Hey pitbull,

Deading 500lbs at 150 is Strong - by any definition, big respect for that!

Maybe I'm missing the point, but it would not be as impressive if you were 250lbs. Would you have got as many views with "lifting 500lbs" as "lifting 500lbs at 150"?

Compare PL or BB to boxing (for example). Boxing is divided into weight categories. The best middle weight fighters, would be destroyed by a decent heavy-weight. The heavy-weight is taller, longer reach and harder punch. Doesn't mean the lighter guy is a bad boxer, or a weak lifter, but it's not a fair comparison.

Away from sport, into the real world, I agree with you. If you're coming to help me move home - I don't give a shit how much you weigh - just as long as you can lift my furniture!!  LOL