Why You Can't Get Big

G

I was inspired to write this post after a recent video upload from one of the guys I follow on YouTube. I'll do my best to paraphrase him while adding as much of my own thoughts to it.

Despite the perception that your genetics are the biggest limiting factor in your pursuit to add size, followed by access to drugs and supplements, the number one factor is your appetite.

You can run 5 grams of gear and train like a beast, if you're not eating in a caloric surplus you'll never access the size potential you're capable of. Yes, it is true that everyone has a ceiling when it comes to potential body mass. But let me ask you this: which is more common - for someone to reach their true genetic potential or for someone to give up before reaching their full potential? The reality is that very few people in this world have what it takes to reach their maximum size potential. So if you're under 250 and you're thinking things like, "My metabolism is just too fast" or "My body doesn't want to build anymore muscle," I'd like to tell you that you're wrong and you need to go eat something.

And yes, I know you eat. I know you eat a lot. However, a lot is not a number and building size is all science. Determining your total daily energy expenditure and eating in excess of that number will lead to gains in mass. Combine this with a scientific approach to your nutrition, intense weight training, proper rest and a solid chemical protocol and there's no reason why the gains won't be lean mass.

The majority of the guys who have difficulty gaining size will take a meticulous and often extreme approach to cutting. Not only will they track every calorie, do a ton of cardio, run Clen and T3, but they'll also drop their calories down to 1000 calories below maintenance or more!

All I ask is that these same guys consider if they've put the same type of effort into bulking. Are they tracking calories during a bulking phase with the same diligence? Are they prioritizing their sleep as much as they prioritize their cardio? Are you consistently eating 1000 calories or more over your TDEE?

Everyone hits plateaus on a bulk. The scale stops moving up. So you add 150 calories. When that doesn't work, you add 300 calories. Still not moving? Take another day off from the gym. Still nothing. Add 500. The pros have TDEEs that would make your head spin. Juan Morel has a metabolism that makes 10,000 calorie cheat days necessary during his bulk. When he eats 7500 calories consistently and the scale doesn't move, does he say, "I must be at my genetic size limit," or does he find a way to reach his goal?

Listen, anyone can get lean. I'm not marginalizing the difficulty of getting into contest shape by any means. But the reality is that there are a ton of guys at your gym, the club, the beach, probably even your job - with a defined six pack. But how many guys have 150, 200 or 250 pounds of muscle on their frame? You don't see these guys walking around too often for one simple reason: eating all that food is difficult.

ramdisck

Thanks for the motivation.  I eat. I eat, and I eat, yet I know i can eat more.  It is a constant battle.  Last night i awoke at 11pm and was very hungry. new I should get up and eat, but i have not gotten over 6 hours of sleep all week. I slept. i didn't eat. push push push.  It is possible i just need to be more determined.

siegmund

+2 good post ,

your correct. im finding out.  the training and drugs are easy. ,the eating is the true discpline. ...but.like you i been focusing on it.  

M

Mister A

Ram, I wouldn't tell myself to wake up in the middle of the night to eat. I think getting a good night's sleep is more important than eating another 400 calorie meal. But Im also hitting my calorie mark during the day. If you're waking up hungry at night, I don't think missing the 11pm meal is where the problem lies. I'm really never hungry while bulking. Like, physically hungry. Psychologically, I'm starving. But that has a lot to do with spending years convincing myself I need more food.

Listen, it's easy for a 280 pound guy to tell a 190 pound guy that he needs to eat. Just eat more, bro. Honestly, it's a lot like a guy who has great calf genetics and never really had to train them to get them to develop telling someone with shitty calves just do calf raises.

When things don't come easy for you is when you need to really become spot on in your disciplines as well as get creative while being an expert on the subject. So if bulking is difficult to you, "just eat more" doesn't help. You need to become a fucking expert on bulking. You need to do things that are against the grain and extreme. Find a way to turn your disadvantages into advantages. The traditional methods of bulking need to go out the window and you need to find what works for you specifically.

You know what I'm finding now that my caloric needs are getting into the 4000 calorie territory? Eating big ass meals of 70-100 grams of carbs in them is not for me. By trying to slow down my metabolism and eat 5-6 meals a day, I'm actually slowing down my digestion too much. Food sits in my stomach like a rock and I don't want to eat the last 2 meals of the day. I can't get comfortable while training because I don't think my stomach is empty. But I can't give it too much time to after the preworkout meal because then my training session runs into the next meal and everything gets pushed back. Then I'm up til 1am trying to force the last 500 calories (the ones you really need) instead of sleeping and recovering and growing.

So I'm back to 8 meals a day. 40g of protein and 50g of carbs at each meal. I add my fat to 6 of the meals. 1 oatmeal meal, 1 yam meal, 5 white rice meals. 1 meal is just a protein shake. I add 25-50g carbs intra workout in the form of Cluster Dextrin. All my fat comes from MCT oil right now as I am actively trying to keep it in check. My rest days are a lot lower in calories and every meal is filled with fiber and antioxidants in an attempt to promote alkalinity and clear my system. If I need to increase my calories I'll add 5g of fat to 4 meals. I won't even notice the 180 calorie difference, but it'll probably get me past the first plateau. The key to adjusting any diet, bulking or cutting, is very small changes. Treat the body like a machine and it will become one. In the words of Denzel, "The shit ain't checkers. It's chess, baby."

M

Mister A

100% true, brother. It's fun to go to the gym and tear it up. It's easy to pin yourself. It's neither fun not easy to go grocery shopping 2, 3 times a week, spend a couple hours a week cooking and prepping meals, weighing everything out, figuring out that 1.08oz of chicken has 10g of protein so 4.32oz equals 40g or 29.26g of oats has 25g of carbs and 1g of fat in it, walking around with these numbers in your head all day trying not to forget them, packing up meals before you leave for work, keeping track of the time constantly so you don't miss a meal, lugging around a food cooler with you everywhere you go, forgetting to pack your fork and having to go into some fast food joint for a plastic one and seeing all those people casually eating McDonald's like it's not big deal and without a care in the fucking world for the the stuff that's constantly on your mind. None of it is fun. Or easy. But you do find a groove and you adapt to it after awhile. Success is a daily grind in anything you want to accomplish. Bodybuilding is teaching me skills I'll be able to translate into anything else and become successful at it. That's how I justify the commitment.

blastthru23

When i space my eating utensil, i go Indian style. I kinda like eating with my hand!

The food aspect does require a helluva lot of diligence, however, after a few months it may end up second nature to some. Some of us nerdy-ass type kind of get off on crunching the macro numbers and tailoring a possibly perfect diet for the target goal. 

Good read btw. Content like this has a place in "new to steroids", since as we keep reminding ourselves that food is the most anabolic substance. Maybe it seems so simple it can't be true? Idk...

Dolf

Meal prepping is the key. Once you make a schedule for your meal prepping and also your daily eating it becomes a habit which makes it much easier. At least for me. On Sunday every Sunday at about noon I start cooking turkey, chicken breast, rice, and veggies. I get all my containers out the cabinet, and get my digital scale ready. Currently I'm eating 6oz turkey or chicken, 2 cups cooked rice, and a serving of veggies in 2 meals. I put them in the deep freeze, and I'm ready for the week. Eating is scheduled out too. Get home at 0730 I eat 2 whole eggs, 1 cup egg whites, and a shake with 1 scoop whey, and 1 cup oats. Wake up at 1400 I eat a prepped meal. 1500 1 scoop whey, 2tbs pb, 1 cup oats. Workout then at 1700 its 2 scoops whey, 1 cup oats, 2tbs pb. 1730 its what my wife cooks for dinner. Go to work at 1830. 2000 eat a prepared meal. 2330 eat a prepared meal. 0300 eat a prepared meal. Thats 6 meals and 3 shakes all timed out during the day. As a guy who was 155lbs at one point and a hard gainer eating was the secret, and hardest part.

The same goes for guys on the other side of the spectrum. The big guys that are naturally big, but carry lots of bf. They eat 5, 6, 7 thousand calories a day, and a lot of it is dirty. They have a hard time reducing calories and eating clean. They don't even think about abs. They'd be happy with just a flat stomach. Most of us have some sort of struggle against genetics. For those who don't and are genetically gifted....fuck you!  lol.

SemperFi

+2 Griz

Interesting topic and something to consider if you are looking to gain size and continue to grow. Growth can have some negative impacts on athletic performance that some may wish to take into consideration. At 225 my flexibility and stamina is different than it was at 200. Yes, I am bigger but not necessarily better. My style of functional training is hindered by the added muscle development.

Take Ram for an example- Ram is a competing triathlete. Adding 15-25lbs of muscle to his 170lb frame may have a detrimental impact on his athletic performance.

The key to our success as individuals in this journey is to have a 'clear idea' of what we want to accomplish in size, performance and end result. Then we can implement a calorie sufficient diet to support the idea.

At 50 I have found that there is an 'end result' so make sure you make an end game plan for yourself.

SEMPER FI

Dolf

Very true SF. For those who are weight restricted athletes cycling and eating is a whole different animal. My speed and flexibility are shit compared to what it used to be, but my end goal is size, so I don't care about losing some speed and flexibility. 

I was browsing e the other day and seen some idiot put up a post that just like their policy of not helping anyone under 25 (which is bs imo) they should also not give advice to anyone under 200lbs because they obviously don't know what they're doing diet wise. If you can't reach 200lbs natty then you shouldn't recieve advice. Really? My thought was...how about weight restricted athletes? How about the 5'4" guy thats fucking jacked at 185lbs?  How about the guy trying to be 190lbs and look like a fitness model? What a fucking jackass!

We shouldn't get caught up in comparing others to the goals I've set for myself. What I'm getting at is if I'm 6'2" 240lbs of mass and strong as a bull because that's my goals I shouldn't look down on the guy who's 5'11" 195lbs. I don't know what his goals are. Maybe he's a weight restricted athlete, a triathlon competitor, an aspiring model who's been given a weight limit, or just a guy who works in tight awkward places and can't be big as a bull. Maybe he just likes how he looks and feels at that weight. After all isn't it all about feeling good about how you look and feel?

M

Mister A

I once used the bone of a chicken breast to eat my mashed yams with. Whatever it takes lol.

It's not that it seems so simple it can't be true, Blast. It's the fact that the simplest and most basic things in life are often the most difficult. And the reality is the bulk of AAS users are looking for shortcuts. But that's because the bulk of humans are looking for shortcuts. Very few people are like you and actually want to go into the flaming building. We all know the guy at or gym who trains like a maniac for 2 hours a day and looks exactly the same as he did last year. Genetics? Fuck that. Show me the macros.

Dolf

Most of those guys think they're eating 4000 calories per day, but don't know they're eating 4000 per day. In reality what he thinks is 4000 is really 2200. If you don't sit down, plan it out, and prep you're not set up for success! Most would rather wing it than put that much effort into it. I've been guilty of winging it. It's a learning process. Anyone who's tried to succeed has failed, but not accepting failure leads to success. 

siegmund

i believe thats actually a post i commented on there. ...now i know there was one months ago. and i believe there maybe a new one.  but i believe my responce was what you just said. ...

when i get pissed off i do post.  but.i believe i seen this new one also. ..

blastthru23

And simply just feeling good all the way around. I personally do not have a goal to be a mass monster. i have a specific picture in my head of where I'm headed, and tailoring both training and diet to get there. If you fellas were an ass like the dude dolf mentioned, I'd be without support, or at least healthy support like i find here. Everyone has a different idea as to what is success insofar as end result is concerned. Broad sweeping, black and white generalizations do no one good, even the person who is generalizing. One learns exponentially by teaching, or otherwise helping another. At least that's how it works for me. Shit, if you can't teach 'it', you probably don't know 'it.'

blastthru23

I've really grown to love meal prepping, tweaking here and there as needed. I know what time it is by my hunger, it's dead on. Meal 1 upon waking basically 6:30-7am, meal 2 at 10am, meal 3 at 1pm, meal 4 at 4pm, meal 5 post workout around 7-7:30pm, meal 6 at about 10pm a little after i get home. Then, i start prepping for the next day. One the sweet potatoes and cabbage are boiled and chicken baked, time to chill on the couch with my lady till crash time at 11-11:30pm. In the morning, I portion it all out, make the shakes, slam one with coffee, pop a couple supplements, pin if its pin day, and off i go for the day. Fuckin makes sense to me. Holding down the groove, and keeping it in the pocket 

Love it, and live it. 

Dolf

When you make it part of your daily routine like you do brushing your teeth, or taking a bath (hopefully lol) it just becomes habit and a normal part of your schedule. 

ramdisck

I got negged for that comment. shit, I guess I have to always wait to be near a computer so I can write properly.

I track my calories daily.  the first weeks of my cycle I'm hitting 4000 as soon as the scale stops moving I'm hitting 5000. this usually means stopping at a fast food place to get an 800 calorie shake or a big bowl of ice cream when I'm in a pinch.  I eat a full meal and two hours later I try to eat again.  There isn't always enough time to eat what's needed. not only would I be bulking, but working 55 hours and coaching wrestling full time. I love all the information in this post and the motivation it provides.  hopefully someone just pushed the wrong button. negative Nancy