Coached Contest Prep Log

calmb4dastorm

9/5/16--Today I began contest prep with a hired coach. This log will contain information regarding the entire process. I am in a bulking phased cycle at present. March 25, 2017 is my next competition.

He had me train legs today. His method included increased TUT, which I have never incorporated. Needless to say, I was sweating bullets and nauseated before I completed my first set. The front squats are a challenge for my shoulders.  All in all, the workout was OUTSTANDING.

Current weight 155 pounds. Body fat 10.1%. He says my stage weight will be between 126-132 pounds. Omg, I was 135 lbs at first show and 9%BF. He says I am 9-10weeks out from being show ready right now. So, I have really done the hard work. Why am I getting a coach then, you ask? BECAUSE I WANT FIRST PLACE! He will tighten up my shot grip! He will pose me! He will push me harder than I push myself and hold me accountable! 

My diet for the week is also a new for me as he said I eat too clean. LOL.  I am to eat 5 meals daily with an optional 6th meal.  It consists of 90/10 ground beef, turkey or chicken primarily. My 5th meal can contain grass fed beef, ribeye,salmon, chicken thighs or pork tenderloin. My meats are in 6 or 8 ounces.  Jasmine or white rice, red or white potatoes or sweet potatoes (gluten free), these things are in portions of 3 or 8 oz depending on which meal I'm eating. I can have a green vegetable of my choice. Lots of supps: ALA, CLA, l-carnitine, l-glutamine, ZMA, chromium piccolinate, multivitamin, fish oil, coconut oil and a fat burner of my choice. This meal plan he says is trial and error. He wants to see my body's response. He may carb cycle me next week to see response as well.

I will train with the coach 3 times this week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I will pin TNE OR BASE prior to those workouts. 

I am going to take photos weekly for progress sake. I will not glue myself to that darn scale either. It is what it is. We are going to make it do what it does! 

calmb4dastorm

9/7/16- First in person training session. We trained chest and biceps with supersets, well, I did. Pinned base prior, and the pumps were so insane! My arms were so full and beautifully tired. By the end if the workout, I WAS DRY HEAVING IN THE BATHROOM! TEARS IN MY EYES, THE WHOLE NINE YARDS! My diet has to be adjusted as I am having hypoglycemic sides. It was a great experience.

blastthru23

LOVE IT!!! This is going to be interesting  :) This is definitely some next level stuff for me. Damn, this is going to be interesting! oops already said that.... I'll be following this log. Get it girl!

calmb4dastorm

The opposite of my training style. Im confident that I made the right choice in getting a coach because he is already taking me to a new level in less than a week! Stay tuned!! This savage body of work is in progress!!!!

blastthru23

I'm curious as to what the keg workout routine looks like. Did he have you do paused sets, or short rest duration, or both? I'm always looking to expand :)

calmb4dastorm

This is the first leg workout for the week, my next leg day is tomorrow
Leg Extension
5 sets    10,10,12,15,15
1. Lying leg curls
5 sets 10,10,12,15,15
Rest pause every rep for 2 seconds
2. Hack Squats
5sets   10,10,10,10,10
Make sure to go parallel
2.Reverse hack squat
5 sets 10,10,10,10,10
As soon as you rack it from facing forward on the Hack, NO rest immediately turn and do reverse
3.  Leg Press
4sets  8,8,8,8
1 ½ reps (All the way up, all the way down, 1/2 way up, back down, back to the top = 1 rep) 
4.   DB -- Straight leg deadlifts
4 sets   10,10,8,8
4.Glute Bridge
4 sets  10,10,10,10
Contract  for 2 full seconds every rep
5. Seated calf raises
3 sets  20,20,20
Every set has 3 drops  15,15,15

blastthru23

Thanks Calm for sharing, i will DEFINITELY,  utilize this plan today, hams and calves this evening. Might have to throw in extra quads (already worked them this week, but fuck it, hit em again!) Looks damn brutal! 

Little K

Following along to see what your prep is like. Having a coach is invaluable. Put as much effort into him as he puts into you (assuming he's giving you what you need - and if not, wrong coach), and your client/coach relationship will blossom. I'm saying this from the limited experience perspective I have from currently being in prep for a natural show and having recently made a few big decisions with my own coach. It's like anything else. We get out of it what we put in. Good luck to you and nice diet!

calmb4dastorm

I'm rolling on! Training legs again today. I hope i can keep my food in me. I get so nauseated with the intense training...Stay tuned....

strong

What a woman.. Sure, things will get tough and you will get tired. That's when you lean on us, Vent it out and get back to the Champion that you already are...

calmb4dastorm

Of my first week using coached training. 9/10/16. I just got up and weighed, no I'm not bound to the scale, but I can tell a difference in the mirror... 152 pounds. I am getting prepared to meet with coach at noon. Just ate my four egg whites and 4oz of oatmeal. I am so sore from this one week of training his way. I have not felt this way in a long time. 

blastthru23

I used some of the routines last night, hacks, drop set calf raises, and lying leg curls. Badass workout! Loved it!!!!! Thank you so much, i needed a change ♡

calmb4dastorm

You enjoyed it! It definitely was a change for me. I will post my others in case you want to give them a try!

I prefer leg press over hack squats, over squats period for quad development. I turn my toes inward or outward to change the target area of the muscle, I do same on leg extension. Try it, look at your quads while doing it, beautiful. 

calmb4dastorm

Shoulders
1.Side laterals  4   8,8,8,8
       Slight bend in the elbows
1. Straight arm side laterals  4   10,10,10,10
       Arm stay straight but the elbow is behind the hip
2. Shoulder press smith or machine 5   8,8,8,8,8
        Continuous motion
3. Partials 5   25,25,25,25,25
       Come up 1/3 of the way 1 second contraction
4.  Pre-set or curl bar reverse grip shoulder press hands should be outside shoulder width
             3  8,8,8
5.  Plate front raises  3   15,15,15
6. Barbell shrugs   4   10,10,8,8
       Hands inside or equal to shoulder width
 7.  DB shrugs  4sets 12 reps last rep each set  20 second holds

Back/Tricep
1.Bent over Barbell rows   5    10,8,8,8,6
    Set up different bar so after you finish your set you do a row and hold the position for 15-         20 seconds
2. Deadstop Rows 4  10,10,8,8
         In between the same hold as the other exercise
3. Full Range Pull-ups 5   10,10,10,10,10
      After each set iso hold for 30 seconds
3. Barbell skull crushers 5   15,12,10,10,15
     Done from the floor with a slightly under grip every set then drops to a set of 8 of  overhead DB extensions
4.  Close-grip pulldowns 4   8,8,8,8
5. Rope Tricep Ext.  4   10,10,10,10
      Every set has 3 drops  7,7,7
6. Romanian Deadlifts  4    12,10,8,21
    1 min and 30 sec rest   finish all deadlift set
 7. Bench dips 3   10,10,10

blastthru23

I like playing with foot position too.  On leg extensions, I find that if I turn my feet outward I can focus on the VM, at least I can achieve mind-muscle connection that way. On leg press, I like to use the one that has a two position sled, load it with about 200 lbs and do 20 reps in 6 foot positions consecutively (lower part: narrow-parallel; narrow-turnout; wide parallel; wide turnout. Upper position: narrow-parallel; narrow-turnout; wide-parallel; wide-turnout) . Sometimes I use this as a finisher for a good burn, though I can only do one complete set of 120 reps. That hacksquat super set was just amazing, was sweating bullets, and once completed I was having the most amazing rush, everything looked sparkly, and I saw everyone as being their best, pure fucking magic! It amazes me that only some of us "get it" ;)

SharonKY

I did it too...had me sweating like there was no tomorrow.  Sweet of you Calm to share your workouts...I need to change things up a bit

siegmund

I wasnt paying much attention at first ,because i didnt know how i felt about a coach....but im sewing he is expanding you to new levels ,   i also will be.follow ...

Questionand.im.sure this varies but the average cost of coach ??? Aill be watching now 

SharonKY

Im paying $100 a month for mine ....he lives in TN so he emails me workouts and eating plans each week.  I text him weight and photos every Monday morning. 
My husband kills me on the workout.....you know how Staff SGT Army MP's are...that are trained marathon runners......he yells like Im at basic training because he knows it pisses me off...gets some strange looks at PF (LOLOLOLOL).