How Did You First Get Introduced To The Gym?

fanpagedown

It's always fun to hear about how people first got into the gym! It's true, things have definitely evolved over time. The squat rack hustle sounds like a blast from the past.
By the way, have you ever tried incorporating high-quality weightlifting belts into your routine? They can be a game-changer for heavy lifting and maintaining proper form. Plus, they're pretty stylish these days too! Keep rocking those free weights and enjoy your gym sessions!

Gainz.

By the way, have you ever tried incorporating high-quality weightlifting belts into your routine? They can be a game-changer for heavy lifting and maintaining proper form. Plus, they're pretty stylish these days too! Keep rocking those free weights and enjoy your gym sessions!

I only use a belt when I squat really heavy... which is rare. Or whenever I shoulder press really heavy... again also rare.
For a while I got wrapped up in all the accessories.
But now I don't. Id rather rely on my form and stabilizer muscles... not belts, wraps, slingshots, sleeves and suits

HGH.to

are you trying to get strong or build muscle? because there's no need to go really heavy when going for hypertrophy. most people don't realize the difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding

Gainz.

are you trying to get strong or build muscle? because there's no need to go really heavy when going for hypertrophy. most people don't realize the difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding

I almost never lift heavy...
My heaviest bench I do is 225lb. I'll add reps before I go heavier. But rarely even go to 225. I like to bench my body weight. Same thing with squats. But I do 4 sets of 20.
My heaviest single arm curl is 45lbs but more often than not I'm grabbing the 25s or 30s.
My heaviest lat pulldowns are 95lbs. But usually stay around 65-75lb.
Again every single thing I do is 4 sets of 20 or 30.
Lifting heavy just gets you hurt. 3 sets of 10 is a complete waste of time and effort.
If you want to add muscle... don't start counting until you have a pump! Once you feel that amazing stretch and pump... that's when you start your workout!
Most people workout until they get a pump then stop. Then they wonder why they aren't growing.

HGH.to

3 sets of 10 does have its place, but it depends on various facts.
a general rule of thumb is: 3-4 sets of 15 reps with great form, except for the last 1-3 reps. but that's just a rule of thumb, adjust depending on how it feels, what works best, exercise type, etc.
overall, yeah, you don't need heavy weights until you're attempting powerlifting.
btw
My heaviest single arm curl is 45lbs but more often than not I'm grabbing the 25s or 30s.
Arnie never went over 45 lbs in single arm curl. i mean... it says a lot

Gainz.

Arnie never went over 45 lbs in single arm curl. i mean... it says a lot
I can do more. I think 65lb is my one rep max. But anything over 45lb I lose from and range of motion. I have to get some momentum and really lose connection with the movement. That's always my goal. I want to focus on every single part of the exercise. Bringing it down, flexing it up... holding at the top (or bottom) really concentrate on that mind muscle connection. When I go heavy... I lose all that and it just turns into moving the weight from A to B.

3 sets of 10 is fine for your first few weeks if you're new. But if you're looking for pure strength, 2 sets of 3-5 is better for real strength improvement. And for just straight up muscle mass... extreme volume (4 or 5 sets of 20,30,40)
3 sets of 10 is right in the middle... average if you will... who wants average results?

unclem

iam like you gainz , i never go heavy as its asking for troulble, i went to 405 on the squat and blew my hip out 2 months ago or so.so thats it for me iam getting to old now to play games with my joints. 45 lbs on the dumbell curl is what i use too. even thats kinda heavy.

Gainz.

iam like you gainz , i never go heavy as its asking for troulble, i went to 405 on the squat and blew my hip out 2 months ago or so.so thats it for me iam getting to old now to play games with my joints. 45 lbs on the dumbell curl is what i use too. even thats kinda heavy.

If you're worried about joints and squats, you should really start doing box squats. You can still go to depth. But you have a safety net.

suppsforlife

I can do more. I think 65lb is my one rep max. But anything over 45lb I lose from and range of motion. I have to get some momentum and really lose connection with the movement. That's always my goal. I want to focus on every single part of the exercise. Bringing it down, flexing it up... holding at the top (or bottom) really concentrate on that mind muscle connection. When I go heavy... I lose all that and it just turns into moving the weight from A to B.
exactly. if you want to grow muscle, you need proper form and proper range of motion. if you can't keep it, you're not growing muscle. that's why those who are ego lifting are either growing shit or injuring themselves. go lighter with perfect form and range of motion, maintaining the momentum for 8-15 reps. still, don't go to light. during the last 1-3 reps you can lose some form and momentum.

Gainz.

My favorite thing to is, start light... take curls for example. Start with 10lb dumbbells 4 sets of 20, then 15lb 4-20, 20lb 4-20, do every dumbbell jumping by 5lbs until I get to 45s. Then work my way back down 40lb 4-20, 35lb 4-20, 30lb 4-20... back down to 10lb.
Best fucking pump you've ever had!!

unclem

yeah i hear ya i did 405 without no problems before when i was younger but it failed me this time and i did warm up good just rotted hip i did not know about but i got a bionic one now.lol just you both said maybe go lighter but i wont/ cant squat again. leg press!

LHV

Decades ago due to chronic injury I was growing muscle on 20 rep sets when everyone said that was impossible. Back then endurance was the only benefit from higher volume according to the "experts". Of course now we know reps within reason aren't a primary determinant of hypertrophy but they can substantially reduce injury risk particularly for joints and tendons. If your goal is hypertrophy I don't think you can rationally justify going below 10 reps for sets close to failure - sets below 10 reps don't optimise muscle and only increase injury risk

Gainz.

I just can't see lifting heavy unless you're getting paid for it.
I know lifting weights is risky no matter what... drop a 10lb plate on your toe... you're going to break something.
But if I get hurt trying to squat a few hundred pounds, or tear a pec going for 300 again... I'm fucked!! If I can't work... I can't eat... along with everyone else that depends on my paychecks.
So the risk just isn't worth the reward.
I've looked pretty good for about a year now... maybe a little more. Look good enough for people to stare and make comments almost every time I'm out.
Only twice have I ever had someone ask me how much I bench or squat.
My boss asked me how much I bench, and 2 little kids asked me how much I squat.
So the only person who cares how much you bench... is you!
Id rather look like I bench a lot 😂🤣

Parameddog

I am trying something different. I bicep curl at 30Kg - I am now going to do 20KG until failure and then 35kg until failure alternating for 6 Sets.

I just want to see if that will bring benefits... It isn't "heavy" heavy, but heavy enough.

I am just a bit worried that I am going to get ill again so I need something to help me along, a boost from gans(z) lol

unclem

my thought is you cant grow nearly as fast with light weight as with heavy, as i see this guy in the gym always going real light and he hasnt grown an once of muscle but he might if he goes up a little in weight. he complains why he aint growing, well lift a little heavier. i mean 30lbs for lat pulldowns is super light but 60 will do u better. just a thought. his arms are like 14-15 inches, been that way for 3 yrs now. his legs are big though. could be genetics. who knows!

Gainz.

my thought is you cant grow nearly as fast with light weight as with heavy, as i see this guy in the gym always going real light and he hasnt grown an once of muscle but he might if he goes up a little in weight. he complains why he aint growing, well lift a little heavier. i mean 30lbs for lat pulldowns is super light but 60 will do u better. just a thought. his arms are like 14-15 inches, been that way for 3 yrs now. his legs are big though. could be genetics. who knows!

Well that's the thing... I don't care how much volume I do... 5lbs isn't going to be enough.

My view is if you're going to do 4 sets of 20, you want to feel a burning by the end of the first 20. On the last 20 it should be painful. If it's not painful... add weight!!!!
I don't know too many guys that can grab a set of 30lbs dumbbells and do 4 sets of 20 and not have a burning sensation by the end. But if I ever do... I can either go up to 35lbs or do 5 sets of 20.
I'm just not trying to grab the 65s and risk hurting myself. Can I curl them... yeah... is it going to be proper form... idk.

You just have to be smart.
If you did 4 sets of 20 and you don't even have a pump... that's not the 4 sets of 20 fault... it's yours for not picking a heavy enough weight.
But also... if you go a little too heavy and only get 3 sets of 20 and on the 4th set get 9... that's great!
Who cares?
The way I lift is volume until I can't flex that muscle anymore.
We all know that crazy painful pump.
That's what I chase on every single workout... the weight and reps don't matter.
I just know I can't get that same pump with really heavy weight

Gainz.

yep. most people can't realize that.
its either ego lifting
or
"I am doing no more than 12 reps because that's the hypertrophy range" (whereas they could easily do 12 more with good form).

Exactly!!
Honestly I think the best advice I can give is, don't bother counting at all.
Pick a weight 50-60% of your one rep max and just do it until your muscles feel like they are going to rip.
People get so caught up in reps and lbs... they lose focus on what's important.
My next piece of advice is don't stop lifting when you get a pump! That's when you should start counting!!!
I haven't single hand curled more than 45lbs, strict curled more than 115lb, benched more than 225lb, squat more than 225lb or lat pulldown more than 110lb in 3 years. Yet I've gained 55lbs of lean hard muscle.
The truth is most of the time I don't go anywhere close to those numbers. I usually only bench or squat my body weight. Very rarely do I grab the 45s and very rarely do I strict curl more than 80lb.
Yet Im constantly growing and getting stronger.