Protein powder or real food ?

Bigjoe

I got to say trying to eat 300 grams or more of protein per day with plain food is hard. I am a firm believer that the majority of your protein and carbohydrate intake should mainly come from whole foods ( chicken, beef, brown rice, oatmeal, etc ). But trying to eat the the proper amount of protein without powders can be hard. I know all protein powders are not created equal and some have much better bio-availability than others. I just wanted to see what protein powders some other members are using to supplement their protein intake. I personally use just one serving a day of iso mass right now as I am trying to bulk of a little, My wife uses carnavore and some times iso-pure because the carbohydrate content is very low. Just looking for some input from our knowledgable members.

siegmund

Dont use them joe , I eat a 30 g power bar in morning , then thats it , I force feed what I can , all day I eat best from 9pm to 3 am , its too hot out and working out here iz killer shakes make me sick and dizzy anx want to throw up , not to mention real shacky ,, I dont know why , maybe the rush of all the protein

Bigjoe

I can imagine not having an appetite when its hot or when working your but off. Its funny you say that about the protein shakes. One of my best friends gets dizzy and shaky from powders as well. I think its just a lot for a body to digest.

D

dolfanshan

I use ON (Optimal Nutrition) Gold standard. I take a scoop as soon as I wake up to feed the muscles. I also use Muscle Pharm Combat. Its a blended protein. I like Muscle Pharm products because you'll never see the words proprietary blend in their ingredients. I use a scoop of combat with half a scoop of ON pre and post workout. Aside from that I get all my protein from food. ON and Combat are both very clean. 

D

Dont_trip

On what your using the shake for my brother as a mrp(Meal replacement shake) Bsn Syntha-6 is a good choice 22grams protein per scoop and 200kcal flavor is amazing and its a protein blend.If you want post workout try going with an isolate or a hydrosolate  for the fast absorption

add 30-60 grams dextrose to pump your muscles full of glycogen.Night time shakes ... a casien protein is good throw a couple ice cubes in the blender with a scoop of that and a banana and your G2G.

BRANDS THAT I HAVE USED AND TRUST:OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD AND HYDRO WHEY,BSN SYNTHA 6,BPI HD WHEY

DYMATIZE WHEY,GASPARI .....Real food is always better but shakes have their place as well.I like post workout 2 scoops whey with 2 scoops of dextrose....Shakes are 2 supplement a diet the thing people do is make the shake their staple and thats a problem

Bigstick_00

I have a muscle milk shake for breakfast every morning. 32g of protein, and usually mid afternoon I have met rx protein bar, it adds another 25g to my daily intake!

milkin

Yup, I too feel that protein shakes and bars are way overrated. Protein should come from food but I would be a hypocrite if I said I did not use myself. I limit my protein shake intake to 1 post workout but if I am trying to slim down I only do 1 casein shake right before bed.  Protein bars I steer clear of since I would rather down fa few hard boiled eggs instead. ON and muscle mile are my two top choices but not any choc due to acid reflux. Did ya'll know that choc promotes acid reflux ? Hell yeah it does.

We all know about the hidden unwanted extras that accompany protein supplements dont we ?

Is your Protein powder posioning you ?

https://musclegurus.to/forum/supplements/protein/70111-whats-your-brand-of-protein-powder

Bigjoe

I actually like Syntha 6. Its a good bulker shake. Its a little cheaper then the ISO-MASS im using at the moment as well. Thats a good choise IMO

Bigjoe

Thats some good info on chocolate and protein powders. I also limit myself to one high calorie shake post workout. I tend to eat the shit out of cottage cheese. I get up and eat Cottage cheese a couple times a night. Its better than cookies and milk :)

Eriq

I love True Nutrition products. http://truenutrition.com/.  You can get custom mixes, choose your flavor and sweetener (if desired).  I love mixing pea, rice, and hemp powders to make sure all my essential aminos are covered.

D

dolfanshan

+1 good info brother. How does it taste? That's a big part of protein powder. 

Eriq

Pea protein is straight up delightful--It blends into any flavor well.  Rice protein is a little gritty, but not bad.  Hemp, well, you grow to love--It becomes so delicious that you'll find yourself sprinkling unflavored powder on cereal, salads, adding it to soup , etc.  Hemp also is high fiber and has a great omega3 to omega6 fatty acid ratio.  Oh, and True Nutrition also carries all the extras like creatine, carnipure,etc.

Eriq

Pea protein is straight up delightful--It blends into any flavor well.  Rice protein is a little gritty, but not bad.  Hemp, well, you grow to love--It becomes so delicious that you'll find yourself sprinkling unflavored powder on cereal, salads, adding it to soup , etc.  Hemp also is high fiber and has a great omega3 to omega6 fatty acid ratio.  Oh, and True Nutrition also carries all the extras like creatine, carnipure,etc.

BobbyO190

I love it. Talk about digging up old threads!

Well done guys.   Personally I like Whey protein, usually drink at least one a day, max for me of three.  I do drink BCAA's during work out as well.  I don't personally find a huge difference between brands so I go with the ones that digest best for me first and taste best second.

ON: Is highly rated but I find their stuff doesn't digest well for me.

Still, I honestly prefer it over 'real food' most of the time.

ramdisck

I try to drink it routinely twice a day. Keeping it a habit makes it just natural. Like a morning shit.  My body reminds me naturally it's time for that drink.  I use a natural whey (only protein no filler) put some almond milk creamer and 6 ounces of milk. Almost have to chew it but I'm not in the game for fancy drinks. Just want that protein in my body. Like a shot at the bar. Gets the job done quickly