Thoughts on macros: meso-cycle meal prep

blastthru23

Counting, timing, and cycling macros are important notions when either building mass, dieting down, recomping, or just maintaining. Some feel it necessary to be rigorously attentive to their macros on a daily basis, but this not always possible for everyone; life can and does get in the way at some point or another. 

First, one must be realistic with the plan they have created. It must be attainable (especially for those that really want to put some calories down the hatch!). Can you do the 6 meals per day? Or would it be more likely that 4 meals will work, or some combination thereof? Planning ahead of time to account for different days is required for a successful strategy. For a person with a catawampus schedule, looking at caloric intake on weekly basis may be a better approach. Remember, stressing out about anything leads to higher cortisol levels, which is catabolic, and tends to cause belly fat. So, lets not stress out about diet, lets plan ahead. We don't plan to fail. we often just fail to plan.

There are at least three aspects to macro counting: micro (daily), meso (weekly) and macro (monthly). There are strong arguments that support the theory that total macros ought to be counted more on within the meso-cycle of a diet, and even the macro-cycle (the endocrine system is not quite as regimented and strict as we would like to think, and hormones such as leptin play a big role in diet, and can take up to and more than three days to rebound, but that's whole other can of worms). For example, say your target for daily caloric intake is 3000 calories, or 21,000 calories per week. If your schedule for the week makes it such that it will be difficult or next too impossible to hit that number, the 3000, in a day, you can plan your meals for the week so that you do hit 21,000. Say, Monday through Thursday you can realistically get in 4 meals. Thursday you can get 5 meals in, and Friday 4 meals, Saturday and Sunday an easy 6. That's 37 meals total for the week. To make things easy, divide 21,000 by 37 and you get 568 calories per meal. Fat (at 25%) would be 15 grams per meal (basically a tablespoon), Protein (45%) around 63 grams, and Carbs (30%) at 47 grams (about a cup or so of cooked white rice). This, of course is just an example and not likely a macro plan you would follow, but if you are cutting, and weigh around 220lbs, this might work. But, as you can see, all the macros are accounted for within a dietary meso-cycle. You could write out what each meal contains, post it up in the kitchen, and over the weekend, cook it all up, label it, and throw it in the fridge for the week. You won't even have that meny dishes to wash either: one pot for veggies, one pot for rice, and a baking sheet for the chicken. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

Of course there are countless ways to go about this using carb and/or macro cycling. Things would also change if you were to figure in nutrient timing. That would take a little extra work in planning it out. 

Dolf

Nice write up blast!

Two things I've always preached as far as diet goes.

#1 Don't set yourself up for failure. Never start a diet that you won't finish.

#2 Weekly macro count is far more important than daily. If you miss a meal on day you can make it up another day. Not only measure daily cals, but also weekly cals.

Meal prepping and eating by the clock is the best way to help yourself reach your caloric goals. I eat ed at 0600, 0900, 1200, 1500, 1800, and 2100 whether I'm hungry or not. Shovel it in.  Eat it now taste it later.

blastthru23

While I was writing that, and learning about it as well, I remember back about a year ago or something, a member was asking about missin meals, and you replied that if you miss a meal make up for it later, because its more about how much you take calories you take in for the week, not so much the day. See D, I'm figuring it out, just takes a minute to sink in haha!

blastthru23

Precisely. It has to work for the individual, otherwise 1) not enjoying the process, thus could cause stress and set one up for failure  2) each person is different and responds to diets differently (I don't think I could do keto, nor do I have any inclination to do so, I would certainly fuck it up!). No cookie cutter diet, cycle, ai protocol. Just general starting points. 

While I find carb cycling very effective, I prefer a steady state diet with proper daily/weekly energy balance for the mere fact it makes meal prep much more efficient (still haven't graduated to making meals for the week). Thus, I decided to run a steady state diet, with mini cuts when needed. See how this works out next cycle

Dolf

I started bulking and yesterday I cooked 10lbs of chicken breast on the grill over charcoal with mesquite chips, a couple batches of mexican rice, some white rice with creamed spinach mixed in, and some yams. Chicken and rice Motherfuckers!

blastthru23

Damn that sounds awesome! When me the Lady went on a weekend trip, I cooked all my chicken on a grill. Wish I could do that every day. Makes chicken a whole other animal. I am almost finished with that 100 lb bag of whit rice I bought earlier in the year. Went though it much faster than I had expected. Getting another soon! (I hate how chicken shrinks when baked, 7 oz looks too small afterward)

What is your macro layout? 

JARHEAD2

YES!! I bet he's a mean cook & knowing what part of town he's from I'd say that Mexican rice is off the hook! :)

calmb4dastorm

When the Storm blew through that area a few weeks ago, I wish she could have at least smelled what Dolf was cooking!!! LMBO

blastthru23

Bet he mans the grill with a stick of straw between his teeth, a spatula in one hand a shotgun in the other wearin aviators

strong

I am No diet Guru but I never stick anything in my mouth that is not whole foods. I seem to get better with this year after year. I rarely ever chime in on diet because I'm an enigma.  My diet consists of Chicken, mostly lean beef, some fish,eggs, white rice, oats, any green vegetable. 2 pieces a fruit a day. I barely eat carbs after 2:00. I had to cut fats way down. no more cheese. I do eat avacados, Natty PB, and Cottage cheese for desert type meals.

I've learned that my body does best at 2500 calories a day. High protein, low carbs and very low fats. I have always had digestion problems and constantly feel and look bloated on a 3500 calorie diet. I take probiotic supps to aid digestion.  Subzeronation (newer member) mentioned intermittent fasting that I did for 3 weeks and worked great for me. Eat all your diet in an 8 hr. period and fast for 16 hrs which goes against everything I ever did but it worked and I will certainly do that again.

strong

Whatever he wants to do as long as he's here at MG.  Dolf + Mg's members = whats right...  Thanks Blast for staying on course. You are showing excellent leadership... Its appreciated...

calmb4dastorm

And more people speaking of intermittent fasting....i consider the time i sleep as fasting lol. I would be so very hungry and irritable with no food for 16 hours-- I'm so accustomed to eating a meal ever 3 hours that i get hungry usually about an hour before my next meal is due.

Dolf

I weigh my chicken cooked. 6oz cooked breast equals 56g protein.

330g protein

400g carbs

80g fat

This is not a lean bulk. It is a straight up mass building bulk with a little test e/deca/adrol thrown in. All are moderate amounts to compare the clean receptor theory to my very first bulk. The difference now will be my knowledge of diet vs when I was a rookie.

Dolf

Baked chicken and plain rice gets old really quick. Gotta add some different flavor to keep me motivated.